Monday, December 21, 2009

Week 8 - Final Reflection

EDUC 6713
Week 8 - Final Reflection
The content of this course has provided me with the information and tools needed to "Use technology to accomplish my goals" (Laureate Education, Inc., 2009), beginning with the GAME Plan (Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer ,2009) methodology. Establishing Goals, taking Action to meet goals, Monitoring progress, and Evaluating strategies used when integrating technology into daily classroom lessons will help me engage my students and better their own understanding of content.
The original GAME Plan I established during this course addressed the two following NETS-T standards:

1) NETS-T-2. Design and Develop Digital-Age Learning Experiences and Assessments

c. customize and personalize learning activities to address students' diverse learning styles, working strategies, and abilities using digital tools and resources.

2) NETS-T-3. Model Digital-Age Work and Learning

c. communicate relevant information and ideas effectively to students, parents, and peers using a variety of digital-age media and formats.

Working on these two standards the past weeks has allowed me to establish and adjust the teaching practices I use in the classroom and also provided me with “self-directed learning activities needed to set goals for my own professional growth” (Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer ,2009, p. 11). Working daily to address the standards I chose was not as easy as I thought it would be. I encountered several obstacles such as blocks on blog sites from my technology department and administration, students and parents who had no access to technology at home and feedback that was not quite what I expected, due to the economy and financial status of our community.

A main accomplishment for me in this course that addressed NETS-T-2 and the NETS-S (NETS-S, 2007) standards during this course was the development of a content unit plan, using three separate lessons to engage students in online networking and collaboration skills. This assignment gave me the opportunity to incorporate digital technology and authentic learning experiences with specific performance standards in my content area.

I have also learned that concentrating on a few standards at a time with my students is something my students and I can work together on to achieve success with future GAME plans. And, by also using projects and assignments that take advantage of online networking technology, students can demonstrate their abilities for using 21st Century skills.

References:

Cennamo, K., Ross, J., & Ertmer, P. (2010). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2009). Program twelve. Spotlight on Technology: Digital Storytelling, Part 1 [Motion picture]. Integrating Technology Across the Content Areas. Baltimore: Author.

National Education Standards for Students (NETS-S) located at http://www.iste.org/Content/NavigationMenu/NETS/ForStudents/2007Standards/NETS_for_Students_2007.htm

National Education Standards for Teachers (NETS-T) located at http://www.iste.org/Content/NavigationMenu/NETS/ForTeachers/2008Standards/NETS_T_Standards_Final.pdf

No comments: